In the few short months since its launch, the WorksiteVR™ Simulator from Immersive Technologies has seen global rapid growth. After its debut at ConExpo this past March, units have now been shipped to customers in eight countries around the world.
“We knew there was a market need for something portable and affordable in the construction training market and sales into Australia, Belgium, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, India, South Africa, and the USA have confirmed the value of years of R&D that went into building WorksiteVR Simulator,” says David Anderson, executive vice president, sales and support, at Immersive Technologies.
The virtual reality simulators fit in two cases which can be checked on a plane or transported between sites. The portability has been a major part of the popularity, the company says.
Komatsu has chosen to deploy multiple units and actively support the development of the WorksiteVR Simulator. Komatsu Ltd. signed an agreement with Immersive Technologies to distribute this product via the Komatsu global distribution network. This agreement aims to achieve even greater return on investment from Komatsu machines for its customers as a result of this collaboration. “It’s so realistic, the only thing that’s missing is the smell of diesel and dirt,” says Paul Carr, Komatsu National RTO training manager.
“Komatsu Ltd. came on board during our innovation process and has proven to be a valuable partner. WorksiteVR Simulator is an exciting breakthrough in operator training and we’re very pleased with the initial repose from the market,” Anderson says.
THE REALITY OF TRAINING
Using virtual reality goggles, Immersive Technologies has developed an engaging, highly authentic, yet economical, training simulator to meet the demands in the construction industry. Uses for WorksiteVR Simulator include:
- Pre-employment testing: Evaluating qualified applicants is simplified using WorksiteVR Simulator. Basic knowledge and skill levels can be easily assessed before employment or entering the field.
- Skill development: Operators can refine and test their skills in numerous customized environments and weather conditions.
- Benchmarking: Operators can compare their skills against the best in your company or across the industry.
- Bonus incentives: WorksiteVR Simulator allows operators to sharpen their skills while not in the field. Completing training modules during downtime to earn recognition, bonuses or incentives can not only improve performance in the field but can help identify motivated employees.
- Assist in team assembling: Quick access to a database of the skill levels of multiple operators can assist superintendents and projects mangers in putting together the right team for the right job.
With minimal hardware and easy portability, WorksiteVR Simulator allows training initiatives to be carried out in multiple locations and with limited oversight. There is no need to burn fuel or cause wear to equipment for training. Operators can assess their progress, skills deficits, and strengths in real time and benchmark against desired goals.
MODULES FOR LEARNING
Each machine comes with its own curriculum—a set of Learning Modules relating to the machine’s operation. The Learning Modules aim at developing core machine operation skills ranging from basic skills for green operators to more complex skills for experienced operators.
Every module within a machine’s curriculum is presented in three distinct stages—preparation, practice, and assessment—providing a consistent approach to skill development across all modules in a curriculum. The self-paced and self-guided flow of module delivery gives operators full autonomy to work through modules independently and at their own pace.
Each WorksiteVR Simulator includes one machine with a base set of learning modules. A separate simulator is required for each machine.
- Joystick control
- Basic travelling
- Digging and dumping
- Digging a shallow trench
- Loading trucks from a bench
- Building a ramp
- Skills builder
- Basic controls
- Basic travelling
- Load and carry operations
- Loading trucks
- Skills builder ■
For More Information:
The recommended retail price for WorksiteVRTM Simulator is $30,000. Trade-in, financing options, and educational discounts are available. For more information, visit www.worksitevr.com.
Modern Contractor Solutions, October 2017
Did you enjoy this article?
Subscribe to the FREE Digital Edition of Modern Contractor Solutions magazine.